UK General Elections Info, Details & FAQs Register to Vote
Thinking of Transferring Course

Thinking of Changing your Course

It is possible to transfer course either within the first two weeks of the first teaching term, or at the end of the academic year after the assessment results have been confirmed.  

Late transfers may be permitted at the discretion of the Programme Leader of the receiving programme but may depend on the assessment requirements of the programme. 

We would suggest that once you have decided that you wish to transfer your course that you speak with your tutor or programme lead.

You will need to check:  

  • Whether there’s any space on the course you want to move to.
  • Whether you meet the entrance requirements.  
  • Whether you’re required to finish your current year of study before transferring. Sometimes an offer of a place is dependent on getting above a certain average for your current year’s study.  
  • You are likely to have to start your new course at the beginning of the first year as most courses have mandatory first year units. However, for some very similar courses it is sometimes possible to transfer directly into subsequent years.  

If you get agreement from both the course you are leaving and the course you wish to join, the university will then complete the required transfer documents.

Points to consider:


Any change of course will trigger a new funding calculation by SFE and, although this does not affect the Tuition Fee Loan available to most students, there are certain circumstances when a Tuition Fee Loan is not available.

Before you decide to change course, please take the opportunity to check with us if you will have the funding available – it could make things more straightforward if you find out the implications of changing earlier in the process.

Contact us for further advice:

International students: 

You should speak to the University Student Immigration Team before requesting a transfer as you may be required to apply for a new visa. 


If you want information about getting out of your tenancy early, or other accommodation queries, contact