We know that money can be a big worry for you. We know you are investing in your future and we want to make sure you are getting the best value for money from your time at University.

We know that many students arrive at uni without basic money skills, or are unsure about what costs are really involved.

We want to make sure you have some basic tips that can help you get the best value for money and make your money go further.

We can give you advice on budgeting, benefits, discounts, shopping and travel to help you get the best value for money. 



*QIs there any help available with budgeting?

*AYou can access a budgeting tool and the Advice Centre will be happy to go through this with you once you have filled it in and make suggestions for any cost savings.


*ADownload our student budgeting tool here.

*QAm I entitled to claim welfare benefits?

*ASome students are able to claim welfare benefits such as Universal Credit although benefits are not available to the majority of students in full time study. Students who have previously been in receipt of benefits are obliged to inform the DWP that they are now in full time education and in receipt of student finance. The DWP will take the amount of student finance you could receive into account even if you chose not to access it. We would strongly suggest that those students who were on legacy benefits (housing benefit, tax credits, etc) contact the Advice Centre at the earliest opportunity.

*QI am struggling to manage on my student finance. What options are there for students?

*AYou should first check that you are receiving the maximum amount of student finance you are entitled to. You could also think about taking part time employment to fit in with your studies. Some students, such as lone parents, may be entitled to claim welfare benefits. You could make an application to the University 's Financial Support Fund. You could apply to charities and foundations for financial support if you meet their criteria.

*QWill all my child care costs be funded by Student Finance England?

*AChild care costs are means tested on current household income. SFE will pay 85% of your actual childcare costs, subject to a weekly maximum.

*QWhat is the Mayflower Award and can I get it each year?

*AThe Mayflower Award is available to 1st year students only who meet certain eligibility criteria. The amount is usually paid in two instalments and is administered through your SFE account.

*QWhat is the Financial Support Fund and can I apply more than once?

*AThe University has a Financial Support Fund which you can apply to each year you are studying. It is only available to home students, not international students. The Fund cannot assist with payment of tuition fees and it is expected that students put in place sufficient funding prior to the start of the course. However, if you experience unforseen hardship, the Fund may be able to assist.

*QI am an EU student and am having difficulty to manage financially. Is there any financial help for EU students from the University?

*AYes, EU students who are currently enrolled can access the EU Hardship Fund:

*QDo I have to pay Council Tax?

*AStudents enrolled on a full time course at the University do not have a Council Tax liabiity. The University will supply Plymouth City Council with details of the names and addresses of students within its boundaries but if you live elsewhere you will need to notify the Local Authority that you are a registered full time student. Your Faculty Office should be able to provide you with a letter confirming this. If a student ceases to be enrolled on a full time course, they should check their tenancy agreement for information on their Council Tax liability.

*QWill my EHIC card cover my health costs in the EU?

*ANow that the UK has left the EU, there are some changes to cover for health costs. Current EHIC cards are valid until they expire. If your EHIC card has expired or you do not have one, you will now need to apply for a GHIC - check the link for details of eligibilty and how to apply:


Helpful links

                                                                                                                                                                                                      Last Updated: October 2023