- Plan ahead. You can save a fortune with just a little advance planning; buying train tickets at least 12 weeks in advance can often see you with a single to London for £13. Check National Rail for ticket prices and times.
- Split your ticket. The other way to get cheap train tickets is to split your ticket, invariably you stay on the same train and sometimes even in the same seat but you can halve the cost, find out more at Train Split.com. Be aware that this site charges you a booking fee, so find out how and where to split your ticket and then go back to National Rail to actually make the booking.
- Get a discount card. 16-25 railcards, also available to all full time Higher Education students whatever your age, can save you up to 1/3 off your travel price on top of splitting your ticket etc. Save 12% off 1-Year 16-25 Railcards with a TOTUM card.
- Oyster Cards you can apply your student rail card to your Oyster Card and continue to get 1/3 off of off peak travel in and around London https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/national-railcard-discount?intcmp=54723
- Avoid peak times. You’ll find the price of your train tickets rise at weekends and during rush hours – usually before 9am and just after 5pm, although this will differ depending on your route and the direction of travel. These periods are known as peak times, and tickets to travel during these times are usually much more expensive than others.
Train booking sites will notify you of peak times when you book, so take care to avoid them.
- Megabus are great for getting a cheap coach back home, they leave regularly and have come a long way from the double decker bus that used to go all around the country! Fares start from as little as £1, and it’s also worth looking at the Mega Train which leaves from Exeter.
- Plymouth City Bus gives students 15% off travel : https://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/schools-colleges-and-nhs-discounts. https://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/schools-colleges-and-nhs-discounts.
- Stagecoach offers Unirider tickets for discounts on student travel
- Carsharedevon has it's own dedicated area for University of Plymouth students and staff.