Welfare Benefits

Welfare Benefits for Students


Students can continue to claim PIP/DLA whilst they are studying and we would suggest that any student in receipt of either of these contact the University’s Wellbeing Services to find out if they are eligible for any support, either through DSA from SFE or from the University.


Most students in full time Higher Education are not eligible for the majority of Welfare Benefits.  However, qualifying students will receive a higher rate of Maintenance Loan, some of which will be disregarded for benefits purposes (this is known as the Special Support Element).


Single parents do qualify for either Universal Credit or for legacy benefits (see list below).  It is important that students notify the DWP or their Local Authority that they are in full time education and in receipt of funding from Student Finance England. 


We would strongly advise any single parent who is in receipt of legacy benefits prior to starting their course to contact the Advice Team for benefits advice at the earliest opportunity so that we can offer specific advice on their individual circumstances.


Additionally, any student with a disability (for which they receive DLA/PIP) and has been assessed as having a Limited Capability for Work (either for ESA or UC) prior to starting their studies can claim benefits whilst in study and should contact the Advice Team for further information.


The Advice Team offers estimated UC calculations for eligible students.


DLA                         Disabilty Living Allowance

PIP                         Personal Independence Payment

DSA                        Disabled Students Allowance

UC                          Universal Credit

ESA                        Employment Support Allowance

DWP                      Department for Work and Pensions

Legacy Benefits include Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits


Last Updated February 2024