UK General Elections Info, Details & FAQs Register to Vote
Academic Complaints

UPSU Academic Complaints Advice

You should always try and resolve any problems you have encountered with the person or department concerned before you consider using the Complaints Procedure. 

However, if this is unsuccessful, Plymouth University has a formal complaints system which you may wish to use. This may be as a result of dissatisfaction with the way your course has been delivered, coursework has taken in excess of 20 working days to be marked and returned to you, unfair treatment by a member of University staff or some other aspect of your dealings with the University as a result of being a student here. 

The University has a formal Complaints Procedure which details what a student needs to do in order for their complaint to be considered. 

  • You will need to use the early resolution stage of the complaints process, details of which can be found on the University’s website, it is important that you raise your concern within 40 working days of the issue arising.  Failure to adhere to this time limit could see you with an out of time complaint which can be very difficult to have addressed.
  • If you remain dis-satisfied after the early resolution stage you can escalate your complaint using the online complaints form: 
  • We would strongly suggest that you seek advice prior to submitting this form. 
  • If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you will have a right of appeal to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator which is an independent body which reviews student complaints.  

If you have experienced any form of abuse, harm or hate, including sexual violence, we suggest that you may wish to consider reporting these incidents via the University’s Speak up Resource:

Is it a complaint, or are you experiencing bullying or harassment?
If you are looking for help and support in relation to bullying and harassment, you may wish to consider contacting a Dignity and Respect Advisor. Please access the following link for more information:

                                                                                                                           Last Updated: April 2024