Advice

Child Care Grants

Child Care Grant payments 2020/21

For continuing students, the initial process for applying for the Child Care Grant (CCG) will remain the same but the system for payments is to change.  For new students, applications will be made on line as part of the overall student finance application.

You will no longer receive the CCG into your bank account.  Instead, once SFE has established that you are eligible for CCG, all payments to the childcare provider will be operated through a third-party website - Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS).

The childcare provider will submit an invoice on line for payment.  You will be required to sign in, check and authorise that the amount is correct.  SFE will then pay the amount directly to the childcare provider.

It will no longer be necessary for a child care provider to confirm child care costs using the CCG2 form as is currently the case.

As a result, that underpayments and overpayments of CCG will no longer occur and there should be fewer difficulties with childcare providers having to wait for payment.

As CCG only covers 85% of the child care costs,  you will need to make separate arrangements with the child care provider in respect of the remaining 15% of the costs.

More information can be found here

What's available

The maximum Childcare Grant for the 2020 to 2021 academic year is:

  • up to £174.22 a week for one child, or up to 85% of their costs (whichever is less)
  • up to £298.69 a week for two or more children, or up to 85% of their costs (whichever is less)

Any remaining childcare costs will have to be paid by the student.

How Dependants' Grants are calculated

For the 2020 to 2021 academic year the amount you can get depends on 

  • your household income
  • how many children you have

Students getting benefits

Childcare Grant won’t affect any income-related benefits. You must not be in receipt of the Childcare Element of the Working Tax Credit, the Childcare Element Universal Credit, the HMRC tax free childcare or the NHS funded childcare grants at the same time as the Childcare Grant.

Eligibility

To qualify for Childcare Grant the following must apply:

  • studying a full-time undergraduate, Initial Teacher Training (ITT) or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) course
  • your child is under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs
  • your eligible for undergraduate student finance based on their household income
  • a permanent resident in England
  • the children are financially dependent on you
  • the childcare provider is on the Ofsted Early Years Register or General Childcare Register - you should confirm this with your provider
  • if your child is cared for at home, the carer can’t be a relative and must be registered with an appropriate body - check with Student Finance England
  • you or your partner are not claiming the childcare element of Working Tax Credits or the childcare element of Universal Credit
  • you or your partner are not claiming the HMRC tax free childcare or NHS funded childcare grants