EU/ EEA nationals

Brexit and Funding

The situation is unclear, we will continue to update this page with information as, and when we receive it. 

Currently the UK Government has confirmed that regardless of a deal or no deal situation EU, EEA and Swiss National students who are currently in receipt of Undergraduate, Postgraduate or Advanced Learner Loans will continue to do so.  The scheme will also remain open to those who enrol for the academic year 19/20 as long as they meet the current qualifying criteria. 

Current system students who are embarking on Erasmus year will need to ensure that their agreement is in place before the 12th April, in the event of no deal, to ensure that their funding is secured.


You may be able to get a Tuition Fee Loan and help with living costs if you’re from an EU country.


The EU countries are:


Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.


The European Economic Area (EEA)


The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.


Entitlement to Tuition Fee Loan only


Nationals of the above countries can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9250 in 2019/20 provided they meet certain eligibility criteria regarding residence in the EEA, previous study, etc. More information on the eligibility criteria can be found here

  • New students should apply to SFE using form EU19n
  • Continuing students should apply to SFE using form EUPR1a

Entitlement to Tuition Fee & Maintenance Loan


Nationals of the above countries can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9250, Maintenance Loan of up to £8,944 (if living away from the parental home and studying at Plymouth University) and means-tested Supplementary Grants.  As long as they have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 5 years prior to the first day of the first year of their course (normally 1 September). 

The Maintenance Loan is made up of a non-means tested element and a means-tested element.

Students in receipt of certain welfare benefits, such as Housing Benefit, are able to receive additional loan amounts and should speak to a Student Adviser in the Advice Centre.

More information can be found here

  • New students should apply to SFE on-line or by using form PN1
  • Returning students should apply to SFE on-line or by using form PR1


Family Members of EU/EEA nationals


If you are a close family member of a qualifying EU/EEA national (spouse/parent/child) you can also for Tuition Fee Loan or Tuition Fee Loan & Maintenance Loan in the same way as an EU/EEA national.

We are here to support you

As a member of the Students' Union you have access to a free, independent Advice Centre. Being independent it means that we don't share anything you tell us back to the University unless you say we can or we legally have to. 

Contact the SU Advice centre to discuss further and see how we can help