Make sure you keep safe online, whether on social media or even emails, with these handy tips:
We have listed below our top tips to help you protect your personal data and keep yourself safe online.
- Think before you click a link in an email. Do you know and trust the sender? Fake ‘phishing’ emails can be very convincing: https://www.takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fvTpNHe9gIVR4BQBh148AHwEAAYASAAEgKd__D_BwEhttps://www.takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fvTpNHe9gIVR4BQBh148AHwEAAYASAAEgKd__D_BwE
- Never give your PIN or passwords over the phone - your bank or the police would never ask for these.
- Use strong passwords and change them regularly.
- Don’t leave personal details lying around and shred personal correspondence before disposing.
- Install anti-virus and anti-spyware software on all devices and keep it updated.
- Back up any important data as this will stop any loss of files if your device breaks, gets lost/stolen or is infected by malware.
- Don’t assume public Wi-Fi hotspots are secure – never use them to do anything confidential like using your email or making a payment. Where possible use your mobile network internet which will have built-in security.
- Check your privacy settings. It’s up to you who sees your photos, updates, and profile information - be aware of your digital footprint and what information is available about you
- Be careful what you post online.
- Think before you add friends or contacts: Do you know them? Do you want to give them access to your photos etc?
- Avoid sharing personal information in public, like your phone number or address.
- Only shop from secure websites - these will show a locked padlock or unbroken key in your browser, and the URL will begin with https://.
Tickets and Fraud:
- Scam emails - would they really ask for that information? To find out more about phishing and identity theft see The Mix
- Also be cautious when buying tickets for events online. Make sure they are legitimate events from a trusted provider.
If you need any further information or support, please contact http://firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Update March 2022