Hopefully everything goes smoothly once you have moved into your student accommodation and you can concentrate on your studies and your student experience.

However, students often have difficulties with their landlord or letting agent when it comes to getting repairs done after they have signed the contract and moved in.

It is important that any issues which arise are addressed promptly and that a written record is kept setting out what has happened and what has been agreed.  Any verbal agreements should be followed up with a confirmation email setting out action and timescales.  This means that you will be in a stronger position if you need to take further action to get the issue resolved.

If your feel, that even after you have formally written to your agency, that they are being unhelpful that you’re not getting the service you paid for, then you should contact the redress scheme that they are registered with.  This will either be the Property Redress Scheme or the Property Ombudsman.

If you’re having problems getting a landlord to undertake repairs, such as faulty boilers, leaks or damp issues then you can talk to Plymouth City Council’s Private Rented team to see if they can assist you in getting the repairs undertaken.  It maybe that you live in a House in Multiple Occupation meaning that they have powers to inspect properties and ensure they are meeting the standards required to be licensed. 

The housing and homelessness charity, Shelter, has an excellent website for advice on all things related to housing matters and guides you through the various steps to resolving housing related problems. Find out more here

                                                                                                                          Last Updated: February 2024