Adventure and Expeditions is Plymouth University’s one stop club for Climbing, Caving, Mountaineering and Slacklining. It is all about getting you out into the great outdoors and having a laugh in the process! From a casual walk along the coast path or a full on roped up mountain assault to an underground adventure we have it all! We pride ourselves in being friendly and approachable so even if you have never climbed/caved/walked before, come and say hi and let us share our enthusiasm with you. There is some stunning scenery on your doorstep in Plymouth and something for everyone. Come join us on an adventure you will never want to forget!
To introduce new members to the club we invite you to attend our epic first weekend where we introduce new members to all the club can offer at a secret location high up on Dartmoor. A choice of activities during the days and a slap up dinner and party on the Saturday night will surely be a weekend to remember. We also run trips and inter university competitions throughout the year almost fortnightly to Dartmoor, Cheddar, Wye Valley, the Mendips, Wales plus many more. We also run a weekly club climbing night, bi-weekly caving trips to our local caves as well as a vibrant social scene with some of the most approachable people you will meet at University.
After christmas we launch our re-freshers events, this is to engage current and new members with the club and will feature a trip and have-a-go sessions for our activities. re-freshers is a great time to get involved with the club, whether you have never done any activities before or are a veteran.
It's not too late to join, the year is just beginning as we get to know each other and build/share skills.
2019 how the club is doing so far.....
The club is one of the biggest clubs, with a diverse mix of activities and over 140+ members.
- Regular club nights climbing at the life centre on Tue/Thu.
- Regular Hikes with our super experienced walking secretary (every other Wednesday usually)
- Held many give it a go sessions for climbing/caving/hiking
- A great array of traditional regular trips (First weekend, Brecon beacons, Mendips, CHECC (Caving conference in wales, Snowdonia, Re – Freshers and more.
- One off / irregular trips. We have lots of things going on all the time. Such examples are trips to other climbing centres, trips to Orienteering events, navigation training events and learn to lead climb sessions.
- Mountain leader award. This year is an exciting one for A&E, so far 12 members are training towards their mountain leader qualification! This is an official award for those who have lots of experience in mountain terrain around the UK This also means that we have 12 extra people who are keen to put on and lead sessions exploring Dartmoor/UK mountains and getting in some wild camping. This is extremely exciting for the club and will bring a huge wealth of knowledge as well as lots of opportunity to share this across the club and lots of new events.
- RCI/CWI instructor award is also in the pipelines, this is qualification means you can teach climbing either inside or out depending on which route you choose. This is being arranged at the moment and will take part when the weather gets better around Easter. If you are interested in learning more please speak to our climbing sec Jonno.
- Aiming to Compete at BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) we will be competing in orienteering and climbing, the respective secretaries are busy creating training plans and organising the events so if you want to compete to measure yourself against others, yourself or simply to have fun please let us know and we can facilitate this.
This is by no means a comprehensive list due to wanting to keep it short. If you want to know more about what we get up to, how to get involved or anything else please contact us either on Facebook/email or in person.
Lots of Love
John - Secretary
Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/276915489052434