Do you want to be part of a growing community in the heart of Plymouth?
Founded in 2004, the Rock and Live Music Society (RockSoc) is well established with ties all over the city. With a mandate to support the Plymouth music scene and help promote local businesses, we’ve grown from a small insular group to one of the largest societies on campus.
Whether you’re the crustiest of punks, the hardest of metallers, more into your pop punk or just up for the odd acoustic set, we can hook you up with the latest in gig, news and deals from our affiliates.
Don't forget to join the groups on Facebook
Rock Soc Affiliates and Events: www.facebook.com/groups/RockSocUPSU
Rock Soc Members Only: https://www.facebook.com/groups/UPSUrocksocMembers/
As a proactive music loving society, our socials tend to involve attending live music events ranging from smaller local gigs, to larger scale events that may require some travel. We can often be found challenging ourselves in the pub quizzes, or just chilling at the local bars.
Weekly events include:
- Free pool at the Pit and Pendulum, kitted out with a Jukebox as well as a student night
- Live music at The Junction, Underground, The Hub, The Nowhere Inn, The Pit and Pendulum and Rock Bottom Bar. Some of these venues also provide our members with fantastic opportunities to perform.
- Friday nights at Club Envy in which an assortment of alternative music is played.
- Masquerade Ball: Club Envy
- BBQ and Icebreaker on the Hoe
- Pool Competition and Student Rock Night: Pit and Pendulum
- Turbulence Festival:Discounted Ticket Price!!!
- Altern8 Club Night, Turbulence after party
Throughout the year we organise socials including:
- Sober socials e.g. ice skating
- Trips away
- The Christmas Feast
- The infamous Rock Soc Boat Party
- Cinema Trips
- House Parties
Not to mention many other events generally involving social activity and alternative music. We're always open to new ideas and welcome all society members to suggest activities they would like to do.
We cater for a large range of people ranging from the most hardened of drinkers to the tea loving critic. Though as a group we like to be social and support the local music scene.
Pubs, bars and venues:
- Propaganda, UPSU: One of the largest UK indi club nights. Propaganda's DJs have played at some of the biggest festivals in the world including Glastonbury.
- The Pit and Pendulum: A new rock bar located on Ebrington street, just down from the Uni halls of residance. A great atmosphere with hilarious bar staff and free pool on a monday night. Tuesday student night, 10% off all drinks with Rock Soc Card and extra drink deals on speciific events!
- The Junction, Mutley Plain: A pub and live music venue that acts as our official clubhouse, offering free pool, an opportunity to perform and various other deals.
- Undergound, Mutley Plain: A live music venue
- The Nowhere Inn: A local rock pub squirreled away in the middle of the student village known for their ales and lovable characters. 30p off selected ales the Nowhere offer an opportunity to perform and enjoy live music. There is also a fun, weekly pub quiz held on a monday.
- The Fortescue, Mutley Plain: A great pub, slap bang in the middle of Mutley Plain.
- The Hub: A tight little venue with one of the best sound systems in Plymouth. In recent years bands like Skindred, Amon Amarth, British Lion, 36 Crazyfists etc have been known to haunt these four walls.
- Rock Bottom Bar: a new and fresh old school rock bar with great bar staff and weekly jam nights every tuesday. Free pint for performers
- Fresher & Professor: Situated a stones throw from Campus
- Club Envy: a rock club night situated on union street. Discounted entry with Rock Soc card
- Altern8 Club Nights: Club night from Exeter which is occasionally in Plymouth
The Nowhere - Pub Quiz
Pit and Pendulum - Free Pool, Nintendo 64, Free Jukebox
Rock night at the Pit and Pendulum
The Junction - open mic night
Nowhere - Free live music
Borderline at Club Envy
Altern8 club night - dates tbc
Live Music Promoters:
• Live Sound Promotions: One of the more prolific promoters of the local music scene, LSP put on gigs at all of our affiliated venues and knock a few quid of for us.
• Ocean City Hardcore: The usual stuff a bit soft for you? Want your music a bit tougher? Then Andreas at OCHC will hook you up with the city’s best in hardcore. He also does a load of fundraising for some awesome causes.