Do you want to be part of the biggest growing alternative community at the heart of Plymouth?
Founded in 2004, the Rock and Live Music Society (RockSoc) is well established with ties all over the city. With a mandate to support the Plymouth music scene and help promote local businesses, we’ve grown from a small insular group to one of the largest societies on campus.
Whether you’re the crustiest of punks, the hardest of metallers, more into your pop punk or just up for the odd acoustic set, we can hook you up with the latest in gigs, events and deals from our affiliates.
Don't forget to join the groups on Facebook
Rock Soc Affiliates and Events: www.facebook.com/groups/RockSocUPSU
Rock Soc Members Only: https://www.facebook.com/groups/UPSUrocksocMembers/
And follow the official Twitter for updates on new events and ongoing - @RockSocPlym
As a proactive music loving society, our socials tend to involve attending live music events ranging from smaller local gigs, to larger scale events that may require some travel. We can often be found challenging ourselves in the pub quizzes or just chilling at the local bars.
Weekly events include:
- Free pool at the Pit and Pendulum, kitted out with a Jukebox
- Live music at The Junction, Underground, The Pit and Pendulum and Rock Bottom Bar. Some of these venues also provide our members with fantastic opportunities to perform.
- Friday nights at Club Envy in which an assortment of alternative music is played.
- Masquerade Ball: Club Envy
- BBQ and Icebreaker on the Hoe
- Pit and Pendulum Pub Quiz
- Pool Competition and Student Rock Night: Pit and Pendulum
- Turbulence Festival: TBC
- Altern8 Club Nights
- The Psycho Social at Classrooms
Throughout the year we organise socials including:
- Sober socials e.g. ice skating, BBQ's
- Pub Quizzes
- Crossover Events with Various Societies
- Pool Tournaments
- Trips away (such as concerts)
- The Christmas Feast
- The infamous Rock Soc Boat Party (at the end of the year)
- Cinema Trips
- House Parties
Not to mention many other events generally involving social activity and alternative music. We're always open to new ideas and welcome all society members to suggest activities they would like to do. The Committee is always happy to listen and take on board any ideas you may have!
We cater for a large range of people ranging from the most hardened of drinkers to the tea loving critic. Though as a group we like to be social and support the local music scene.
Pubs, bars and venues:
- The Psycho Social: Ran by the DJs of Twisted metal, it's a killer night where the goths and metalheads of Plymouth take over classrooms nightclub
- The Pit and Pendulum: A new rock bar located on Ebrington Street, just down from the Uni halls of residence. A great atmosphere with hilarious bar staff and free pool on a Monday night. Tuesday student night. Monthly Pub Quizzes.
- The Junction, Mutley Plain: A pub and live music venue that acts as a great spot for the latest local gigs, offering opportunities to perform and various other deals.
- The Underground, Mutley Plain: A live music venue, hosting gigs for both local and international bands.
- The Fortescue, Mutley Plain: A great pub, slap bang in the middle of Mutley Plain.
- Rock Bottom Bar: A new and fresh old school rock bar with great bar staff and weekly jam nights every Tuesday. Free pint for performers and opportunities for RockSoc members bands to perform
- Club Envy: A regular rock club night situated on union street. A great night out always playing your favourite tunes. Discounted Entry Fee (with RockSoc Membership Card)
- Altern8 Club Nights: Club night from Exeter which is occasionally in Plymouth
Pit and Pendulum - Free Pool, Nintendo 64, Free Jukebox
The Psycho Social at Classrooms
Rock Bottom - open mic night
Unleashed at Club Envy
Rum Bar (at Bac Bar) - 2 for 1 drinks
Altern8 Club Nights - Dates TBC
Live Music Promoters:
• Live Sound Promotions: One of the more prolific promoters of the local music scene, LSP put on gigs at all of our affiliated venues and knock a few quid off for us.
• Ocean City Hardcore: The usual stuff a bit soft for you? Want your music a bit tougher? Then Andreas at OCHC will hook you up with the city’s best in hardcore. He also does a load of fundraising for some awesome causes.