Plymouth Biomed+ Society!
Biomedical Science, Human Biosciences, Healthcare Sciences and Nutrition students
This is the student-led organsiation on campus for you! Offering:
- a range of academic support and events
- social events (both drinking and non-drinking) to meet coursemates across all three years
- fundraising and charity oppurtunities among the local community and further afield
- sporting oppurtunities tying links to MedSoc & DentSoc to allow the best possible training outside of timetabled hours
- access to events such as our 'Event of the Year' runner-up Winter Ball
- a network of like-minded, friendly faces in our family scheme
- and incredible deals at local bars, eateries and clubs from secured sponsorships.
- President – Humaira Ahmed
- Vice President – Panayiota Constantinidou
- Secretary – Rawan Najem
- Treasurer – Nellie Fernando
- Health & Safety Secretary – Rosa Abel
- Social Secretary – Katie Silver & Ellie Rowlands
- Charity & Fundraising Secretary – Phoebe Worden
- Academic Secretary - Joshua Stewart
- Events Secretary- Georgia Grinham & Jaspreet Kaur
- Well-being Officer- Amy Hodder
- Sports Secretary- Kumar Ransing
Socials will run regularly throughout the year with both drinking and non-drinking events! Past socials have included things such as pub quiz's, lazer quest, bowling nights, pub golf and of course plenty of nights out! Socials are a great opportunity to meet & get to know other society members across all year groups! We'll even team up with MedSoc & DentSoc for a big night out giving you the chance to meet students from other schools within PUPSMD.
Welcome Party Facebook Event:
Last year we raised nearly £700 for the incredible local charity Plymouth Mind. We are delighted to be supporting them for a second year in a row! Last year our work for their #3in4 campaign was highly commended as runner up for 'Best student lead campaign' at the SSTAR awards! This year we're hoping to host at least 1 charity event every month, from the very popular pub quiz's to events like bowling nights, charity run's and we're working on a very exciting BIG event so look out for more details on that soon! In addition to this, we're hoping to provide greater opprtunity for society members to get involved in volunteering & fundraising. We're incredible proud to have achieved bronze icons last year, but we're aiming to top that this year with a bigger and better chairty effort!
Online Fundraising Page:
Help sessions will provide members pivotal aid and assistance with coursework, assignments, exam preparation and studying techniques that can be accessed nowhere else on campus. Last years sessions were so succesful, that this year for the first time we have TWO academic secs! We also hope to run our first ever 'MEGA Biomed' revision sessions, where lectures will be given on exam topics in relaxed and open environments to ensure you feel confident and comfortable to take on any academic task thrown your way. We'll be working closely with WAMS to help those who want to apply to medicine or dentistry get vital interview practice!
This year Biomed+ Soc are offering 3 sporting opportunities! (Football, Hockey & Netball), expanding links with our friends at MedSoc and continuing on with our hugely popular and succesful intramural football group. Being a member of these teams enables you to play at National tournaments across the country, such as the famous NAMS, and the interestingly named TITS (Tournament in the South, for those wondering), alongside friendlies throughout the year and other charity events. Membership to Biomed+ Soc alone allows access to these resources, so get signed up asap and we'll see you at training!
Since they first began, Biomed Winter Balls have been the talk of the events season, with the society beating 100+ other societies to be nominated as 'Event of the year' last year! With previous venues scoping from The Eden Project, the National Aquarium and Kitley Manor House, they're a spectacle you will never want to miss. This year, the Biomed Ball is looking to be even bigger and better than ever, and membership to Biomed Soc allows reduced ticket prices.
Freshers Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/775110576020195/?
2nd Year Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/123503028271067/?
Final Year Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1512018308823777/?
Browse All Societies