Discussing the student issues that matter to you
What is the Union Council?
The Union Council is in place to make important decisions that affect the student body and ensure that the wide diversity of the student body is fairly represented in these decisions
The Union Council is made up of 13 Part time officers, 4 elected Sabbatical Officers and 14 School Representatives. It is also attended by the Chief Executive and staff support members. The Chair of the Accountability Board also attends these meetings, to observe and ensure that they are taking place in a fair and democratic manner.
What happens at Union Council?
The Union Council is a regular meeting where members present can:
- Give updates and feedback about the things they are working on.
- Discuss, organise, and support campaign, events and projects and ideas.
- Debate policy proposals, and vote on whether to approve them to become the political policy of the union.
A policy proposal is basically a fancy way of saying "idea". Any student can submit a proposal to Union Council, and suggest ways for UPSU to improve. In order to submit a policy to Union Council, you must have a proposer (you) and at least one person who will second your idea (seconder). You can then submit your proposal to the Student Voice Team, who will help you develop your proposal, if needed, and include it on the agenda for the next meeting. The members present at the meeting will debate then vote on whether to approve your proposal. If your idea is approved, it will then become a part of UPSUs working policies, and we will work with you to make it happen!
You can also submit your ideas in collaboration with a Part-time Officer
Please use the Policy Proposal Template to formally submit a proposal for debate at Union Council - do get in touch with Student Voice for help with this if you are not sure what to do!
Dates of Union Council Meetings:
- Thursday 22nd October 2020 (deadline for papers 8th October)
- Thursday 26th November 2020 (deadline for papers 12th November)
- Tuesday 9th February 2021 (deadline for papers 26th January)
- Thursday 18th March 2021 (deadline for papers 4th March)
- Tuesday 20th April 2021 (deadline for papers 6th April)
Minutes of meetings:
Union Council Chair