Plymouth Snowriders is a student-run snowsports club that welcomes everyone, be it for social, lesuire or competitive reasons. We cater for all abilities and aspects of snowsports, from lessons and race training at Mount Plym, 2 ski trips per year, BUDS in Edinburgh and many other competitions, to regular socials in Plymouth city centre and more!
Your Membership: So what do you get for your £25 membership fee? Here's a breakdown of a few key costs we use membership fees for:
- As a member you will be welcomed with open arms to all of our events and socials throughout the year, if you're still on the fence about membership - come along to our Toga social and have a chat with some of our previous members and committee to get a feel for the club! (Yes, you are welcome even if you aren't a member yet and feel free to bring a friend or two.. or three..!)
- Access to our legendary Christmas and Easter trip packages! Come and join us as we take around 120 snowriders to the Alps for a week of skiing, snowboarding and social antics at a price that you will struggle to beat elsewhere!
- We try to subsidise transport wherever possible for competitions, lessons and training to help our members improve their abilities and apply what they've learned.
- Access to our exclusive lessons package (£40 Lessons package includes a block of 4 lessons - one per week for a month)! To put this price into perspective to buy 4 lessons at Plymouth slope is £115 (see their site for quoted figure), so even with just one batch of lessons you will have saved £50!
- By becoming a member you will also be able to purchase our highly prized snowriders stash - renowned for their comfort, quality and style at student standard prices!
- Access to discounts and exclusive lock-ins hosted by our sponsors; Faction, AfterJam, NUCO, Bro!, Absolute Snow, Gravity Protection, The Board Basement, UPSU: and our chosen charity Protect Our Winters.
- Discounts at bars and clubs around Plymouth with a Switch & Play Society card that gets you: 15% off all drinks at Air, Switch & Play and 15% off food at Skoff as well as free entry to all 3 venues ALL day, EVERY day, ALL year round. A Revolutions Society card that entitles you to: 50% off food, 2 for 1 cocktails, £4 double vodka + mixers, and £2.95 pints, £6 shot sticks and much much more.
Lessons and race training: Lessons are held on Tuesdays during term time, with race training on Wednesdays for more advanced members who wish to compete. In addition this year we have Freestyle training at least once a month. We compete regularly at Gloucester dryslope and other venues in the South West in the Kings Ski club Western League, alongside BUSC/BUCS national events such as BUDS (in Edinburgh) and BUISC (indoor series hosted at MiIton Keynes Snowdome).
Socials: Plymouth Snowriders offer a wide range of social activities with or without a drink in your hand! Our first social of the year is our infamous toga social! If you're not yet a member come along and see what you think, meet other members and ask the committee any questions you like!
Competitions: Our biggest competition of the year is held in Edinburgh where we compete in the British University Dryslope Championships (BUDS, run through BUCS) where we plan to take all of our budding racers and freestylers to compete against the rest of the country's university snowsports, with Plymouth Snowriders cheering them on! This is a huge competition and social event, this year we plan to take 50 of you up for three days and night of snowsport antics! We also compete in the Kings South West League and during previous two years have made our way to Kings Finals (National) where we were dubbed Most Social Snowsports Club of 2016/17!
Trips: This year we will be taking over 120 Snowriders on our Christmas trip, and are running another smaller Easter trip. We will let you know when booking opens - book ASAP to avoid dissapointment when it sells out!
For any more details please feel free to email us/contact us on social media! Don’t forget to follow us on our Facebook page or Instagram keep up to date with socials, lessons and much more!
Don't take it from us, take it from our members!
Lauren Tapscott, RedBull Student Brand Manager: "I joined the SnowRiders club during my second year, where I learnt to snowboard and competed against other unis. But, more importantly, I found a lot of like-minded people who loved the sea as much as I do. The club has an all-round love for the outdoors: skiing and snowboarding, surfing together, cliff jumping and slacklining. Joining a sports club should be one of the more important parts of university (apart from actually studying!). Joining a sports club means you will be meeting people who have similar passions and goals to you. Having a few different groups of friends means no day will be the same, and you can push one another to explore new experiences."
Sponsorship links: https://www.cleverstudentlets.com ; https://www.brocerystore.com ; https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk ; https://www.gravityprotection.co.uk ; https://nucotravel.com ; https://www.skibartlett.com ; https://www.sputniksnowboardshop.com ; https://www.afterjamcollective.com