Let the club know you're interested but not yet ready for a membership.
The University of Plymouth Surf Lifesaving Club 2020/2021
Welcome to one of the UK's FEW University SURF Lifesaving Clubs! We practise general water-based lifesaving skills as well as first aid. We take these skills to speed based competitions all over the country and have a blast doing so! We also do beach trips for a day or the weekend to have a fun time on the beach and learn some sea-related lifesaving skills. This could spark your interest in becoming a beach lifeguard, or you could just have fun with the club.
Due to COVID, the running of the club and our activities will be slightly different to ensure everyone's safety. However, we will do our best to run the club as 'normally' as we can. All competitions with the other lifesaving clubs have been cancelled for the first term, in the hope that there will be some in the second term. in replacement, we will be running a friendly inter-club competition to test the clubs' fitness and skills (as well as having a laugh, we don't take anything too seriously.)
We are also pushing to run intermittent sea swimming sessions depending on the weather and condition of the sea. This will mainly just a bit of fun and to help everyone feel comfortable in the sea. So bring your wetsuits, it's going to get cold.
The University of Plymouth Surf Lifesaving Club 2020/2021 are planning a very exciting year! We have formed a brand new enthusiastic committee that are determined to bring lots of good change to the club, despite covid trying to smite us.
We have one two-hour session a week that will alternate between Plympton and Plymouth Collage. The first sessions are as follows:
6-8pm on Saturday 10th Oct at Plymouth Collage (Taster session)
8-10pm on Sunday 18th at Plympton Pool
For the taster session (and all sessions) we ask that you let us know if you're going through our event link on Facebook. We need to confirm whos going, collect contact details and arrange everyone into groups of 6 before every session. So you need to follow us on Facebook if you want to attend the sessions.
- We're allowed no more than 22 people in total at our sessions
- Everyone has to be split into groups of 6 (so two groups of 6 and two groups of 5) with one trainer included in each group. You must stay in that group for the whole session.
- At the pool, everyone must turn up already in their swim stuff, as we're not allowed access to the changing rooms before we swim, only after. All belongings will be kept on poolside in an allocated area.
- There will be no showers available.
- After the session is over, we have 15 minutes to get dressed and exit the building.
- We are not allowed to do any activities or training involving contact, and everyone must social distance at all times.
- Finally, if you are exhibiting or start to have any symptoms of covid then please inform us and do not come to the sessions and self isolate following the government guidelines.
Throughout the year we offer pool lifeguarding courses and training (NPLQ) & beach lifeguarding courses (SLSGB/RLSS)! So far we have a 100% pass rate in all of these courses. And have trained over 130 lifesavers.
We also run an annual beach lifeguard course with Adventure bay. This could turn into a great summer job! The course is also useful if you want to become a surf coach. We can also provide beach lifeguard training throughout the year.
- Silver medal at the 2012 Championships in Bath
- Gold medal in the RNLI Simulated Incident in the 2015 Championships.
- Many of our members qualified for the World Lifesaving Championships during the RLSS National Speeds Competition.
- Gold medal in the woman's singles event for rope throw in the 2020 Bristol Championships. She also set a BULSCA record! Go Keira!
- Silver medal in the woman's group rope throw in the 2020 Bristol Championships.
We've already run some digital freshers events and plan to do more socials in the future. To be informed about these socials, make sure to follow us on both Facebook and Instagram.
Club President- Lorcan Frewin
Club Captain- Alice Becket
Beach Club Captain- Franchesca Vasey
Secretaries- Benedict Barber and Daisy Grainger
Health and Safety Officer- Laura Pidgeon
Treasurer- Sam Kielty-White
Social Sec- Mia Ball
Kit Officer- Rhianna Preece
If you have any questions, get in touch with us: