Let the club know you're interested but not yet ready for a membership.
Adventure and Expeditions is Plymouth University’s one stop club for Climbing, Caving, Mountaineering/Hiking and Slacklining. It is all about getting you out into the great outdoors and having a laugh in the process! From a casual walk along the coast path or a full on roped up mountain assault to an underground adventure we have it all!
We pride ourselves in being friendly and approachable so even if you have never climbed/caved/walked before, come and say hi and let us share our enthusiasm with you. There is some stunning scenery on your doorstep in Plymouth and something for everyone. Come join us on an adventure you will never want to forget!
What do we do?
Historically we are always one of the biggest clubs, hosting both large and small events bi-weekly at our regular haunts of Dartmoor, Wales, Dorset, Cheddar and many more, and with Covid hopefully on its way out we are back and raring to get as many people into the outdoors as possible to show just how much is possible just on our doorstep and fingers crossed further affield.
We like anything outdoors, but our official activities are Climbing, Caving, Hiking/mountaineering and slacklining but our members are often to be found doing various activities outdoors. There is a wealth of knowledge about a huge range of things in the club and our members are normally happy to share what they know.
We have 2 weekly climbing/bouldering nights at the Plymouth Life Centre between 6 and 10 starting up again on the 21st of September 2021 with trips to other local climbing centres also on the regular.
This year the Life Centre is also offering climbing introduction sessions through the university availiable to book on mondays and wednesdays which we can book you onto if you're keen to progress with roped climbing.
Wednesday night socials are set to start back up with events being posted on our facebook group atleast a week in advance, with a range of evenings from our legendary Wine and Cheese nights to themed clubbing nights aswell.
Wekends away are our main attraction as a club and offer the best opportinity to see more of the UK while socialising and advancing your skills with many knowledgeable members by youre side. They are are also set to go ahead with 4 already in the diary and many more in the planning with tickets going on this UPSU page normally 2 weeks in advance.
We accept people with any experience or ability and you can participate in however many events you wish.
- We have historically been one of the biggest societies in the university, however our members have fed back and said they like the family like atmosphere we have at A&E. We pride ourselves on being friendly and inclusive and it's a great place to meet people and gain new skills.
- A real sense of community with past members consistently going on trips of their own with a huge alumni network.
- Access to a group chat with all the other members for this year, come find your bubble and help make this the best A&E year :)
- Weekly climbing sessions at the Plymouth Life Centre.
- Insurance for our activities through the BMC/BCA.
- Included access to specialised equipment such as shoes, harnesses, caving gear, camping gear and much more.
- Regular affordable trips away, for example a weekend away in cheddar is around £35 including food, accommodation, travel, equipment and help from our more experienced members.
- We have also been known for some great discounts through our club sponsors, our size in the past has helped us negotiate great discounts and we are continuing to try add to our sponsor list.
- Potential to get official qualifications just as Mountain Leader, Climbing Wall Instructor, Rock Climbing Instructor and whatever else people are keen for (we employ a fantastic technical advisor who offers us fantastic discounts for courses ).
How to Join?
- Simply sign up through UPSU, pay our membership fee (and the UPSU sports fee, which we have no control over)
- After that join our Facebook Group (link below) for future updates and keep an eye on your emails too
- Message our page with youre student number and name after youve bought youre membership to get added to this years group chat (or ask a committee member)
What we did Pre-Covid...
The club is one of the biggest clubs, with a diverse mix of activities and over 140+ members.
- Regular club nights climbing at the life centre on Tue/Thu.
- Regular Hikes with our super experienced walking secretary (every other Wednesday usually)
- Held many give it a go session for climbing/caving/hiking
- A great array of traditional regular trips (First weekend, Brecon beacons, Mendips, CHECC (Caving conference in wales, Snowdonia, Re – Freshers and more.
- One off / irregular trips. We have lots of things going on all the time. Such examples are trips to other climbing centres, trips to Orienteering events, navigation training events and learn to lead climb sessions.
- Mountain leader award. This year is an exciting one for A&E, so far 12 members are training towards their mountain leader qualification! This is an official award for those who have lots of experience in mountain terrain around the UK This also means that we have 12 extra people who are keen to put on and lead sessions exploring Dartmoor/UK mountains and getting in some wild camping. This is extremely exciting for the club and will bring a huge wealth of knowledge as well as lots of opportunity to share this across the club and lots of new events.
- RCI/CWI instructor award was also completed by 8 members, this is qualification means you can teach climbing either inside or out depending on which route you choose.
- Competing at BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) we competing in orienteering and climbing, the respective secretaries are busy creating training plans and organising the events so if you want to compete to measure yourself against others, yourself or simply to have fun please let us know and we can facilitate this.
This is by no means a comprehensive list due to wanting to keep it short(ish). If you want to know more about what we get up to, how to get involved or anything else please contact us either on Facebook/Instagram/Email or in person.
Lots of Love
Joseph - Trip Sec
Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/276915489052434
Browse All Clubs