Let the club know you're interested but not yet ready for a membership.
Adventure and Expeditions is Plymouth University’s one stop club for Climbing, Caving, Mountaineering/Hiking and Slacklining. It is all about getting you out into the great outdoors and having a laugh in the process! From a casual walk along the coast path or a full on roped up mountain assault to an underground adventure we have it all!
We pride ourselves in being friendly and approachable so even if you have never climbed/caved/walked before, come and say hi and let us share our enthusiasm with you. There is some stunning scenery on your doorstep in Plymouth and something for everyone. Come join us on an adventure you will never want to forget!
Historically as we are always one of the biggest clubs, we have hosted both large and small events at our regular spots of Dartmoor, Wales, Dorset, Cheddar and many more. This year due to Covid we are having to adapt that to fit both the government guidelines and the Universities. We will still be going ahead with events and activities, however how we do those will change and adapt to what the restrictions allow us.
We already have plans in place which are being checked by the university and will be published when they can. As most of our activities are based outside or can be done safely, we still intend to go forward and offer everyone who wants it a taste of the outdoors and the activities we have one offer.
We like anything outdoors, but our official activities are Climbing, Caving, Hiking/mountaineering and slacklining but our members are often to be found doing various activities outdoors. There is a wealth of knowledge about a huge range of things in the club and our members are normally happy to share what they know.
We will still be having a weekly climbing night with regular trips to other local climbing centres.
We have plans in place for our regular trips away as well as plans processing for alternatives.
we accept people with any experience or ability and you can participate whenever you wish.
- We have historically been one of the biggest societies in the university, however our members have fed back and said they like the family like atmosphere we have at A&E. We pride ourselves on being friendly and inclusive and it's a great place to meet people and gain new skills.
- Now more than ever, community is a really important focus of ours, that’s why we have plans in place for Covid and as well our members being friendly and welcoming, we have a social secretary and wellbeing secretary who are always happy to help.
- Access to a group chat with all the other members for this year, come find your bubble and help make this the best A&E year :)
- Weekly climbing sessions at the hangar.
- Insurance for our activities through the BMC/BCA.
- Free access to specialised equipment such as shoes, harnesses, caving gear, camping gear and much more.
- We also offer regular trips away and use our group buying power to keep these super affordable, for example a weekend away in cheddar is around £35 including food, accommodation, travel, equipment and help from our more experienced members.
- We have also been known for some great discounts through the club, our size in the past has helped us negotiate great discounts and we have some exciting ones planned for this year.
- potential to get official qualifications just as Mountain Leader, Indoor Climbing Instructor, Rock Climbing Instructor and whatever else people are keen for (we have a technical advisor we employ who offers fantastic group student discounts).
How to Join?
- Simply sign up through UPSU, pay our membership fee (and the UPSU fee, which we have no control over)
- After that join our Facebook Group (link below) for future updates and keep an eye on your emails too
What we did last year...
The club is one of the biggest clubs, with a diverse mix of activities and over 140+ members.
- Regular club nights climbing at the life centre on Tue/Thu.
- Regular Hikes with our super experienced walking secretary (every other Wednesday usually)
- Held many give it a go session for climbing/caving/hiking
- A great array of traditional regular trips (First weekend, Brecon beacons, Mendips, CHECC (Caving conference in wales, Snowdonia, Re – Freshers and more.
- One off / irregular trips. We have lots of things going on all the time. Such examples are trips to other climbing centres, trips to Orienteering events, navigation training events and learn to lead climb sessions.
- Mountain leader award. This year is an exciting one for A&E, so far 12 members are training towards their mountain leader qualification! This is an official award for those who have lots of experience in mountain terrain around the UK This also means that we have 12 extra people who are keen to put on and lead sessions exploring Dartmoor/UK mountains and getting in some wild camping. This is extremely exciting for the club and will bring a huge wealth of knowledge as well as lots of opportunity to share this across the club and lots of new events.
- RCI/CWI instructor award is also in the pipelines, this is qualification means you can teach climbing either inside or out depending on which route you choose. This is being arranged at the moment and will take part when the weather gets better around Easter. If you are interested in learning more, please speak to our climbing sec Jonno.
- Aiming to Compete at BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) we will be competing in orienteering and climbing, the respective secretaries are busy creating training plans and organising the events so if you want to compete to measure yourself against others, yourself or simply to have fun please let us know and we can facilitate this.
This is by no means a comprehensive list due to wanting to keep it short. If you want to know more about what we get up to, how to get involved or anything else please contact us either on Facebook/email or in person.
Lots of Love
John - Secretary
Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/276915489052434
Browse All Clubs