Let the society know you're interested but not yet ready for a membership.
A Cappella is a family connected by music. We are a warm and welcoming society who encourage our members to mix and make friends. Whether you’re a trained singer or someone who just likes to sing in the shower we invite you to join our family! There are no auditions, just come along for a free taster session; whether you join in September or April the first four sessions are always a free taster, no membership required!
Under COVID-19 restrictions, we unfortunately can't undertake our usual sessions. As we cannot sing together in a group yet, our MD and AMD are putting together arrangements for you to record at home. These will then be edited together to create a virtual performance, which will be shared to our social media. Our most recent example can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tclrcDuUGyY
You can find our Discord here:
If you're new to Discord, it's really easy to use! Message us on Facebook for any help you need.
Once normal sessions can resume, our typical A Cappella sessions will go as follows:
Our Typical Sessions:
We normally have a rehearsal session every Thursday from 6.30pm until 9.00pm in Rolle 018.
- Our sessions start with a warm welcome from our Chair.
- The Musical Director or the Assistant Musical Directors lead the warm up and teach the arrangements. However, any member can come up with a musical arrangement, either alone or with the assistance of the MD or AMDs and then teach it to the society.
- We have two 50-minute periods of learning the arrangements, in between which we have a 15 to 20-minute jam session.
- We will also have a monthly meeting with the whole society where we can vote on decisions and any member can bring a point into discussion.
Events and Performances:
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are uable to attend any events or performances at the moment. Usually, our events and performances go as follows:
- We aim to have at least 3 to 6 performances this year. It is not mandatory that you attend the performances, it is completely your choice. Soloists are chosen, auditioned or you can volunteer yourself.
- We often have some of our members perform at ‘Jam House’ in the SU, either in groups, bands or alone.
- If you wanted to perform there but are nervous you can ask one or more of the members to join you.
Community and Socials:
These deals can only be redeemed with the A Cappella card and are subject to change.
JSV run special offers on Thursdays, where all house spirits are cheaper than usual!
- Your first 4 sessions are free, after which you will be subject to a membership fee of £5 for the whole year.
- Paid members get a membership card which when shown at James Street Vaults (JSV) entitles you to the drinks deals.
- Paid members will also be added to the Member channel of our Discord server.
We look forward to meeting you soon and welcoming you to our musical family. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask, just email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook page!
Browse All Societies