Before everything else, we are a society; a group of like-minded people. We encourage members to make friends and mix with new people. We feel very strongly that everyone who is passionate about music and singing deserves a chance to be part of the society, and we don't disclude or include anybody based on ability. There are no auditions to join the society. Some of our members are semi-professional singers, some have only sung in their church choir as a child, and some have never before taken part in organised group performances. Whatever your history with music is, we want you!
We rehearse every THURSDAY at 7pm until 9pm (usually in Rolle 018) - please come along if you're interested!
- Each semester we work towards a performance, and we aim to learn and perfect at least 3 songs over a 2 week period.
- We learn songs from a variety of genres, including popular music, musicals and so much more!
- Around 50% of sessions will be taught by the Musical Director and/or Assistant Musical Directors, but we welcome input from all members. If you want to teach a song, or you have an idea for an arrangement, please make yourself known to a member of the committee!
PERFORMANCES & EVENTS
- This semester we have several group performances planned.
- Attendance at performances is not mandatory, but we encourage members to perform as part of the group because we believe it’s a great way to work on your confidence in all areas of life.
- In the past we have had members perform at 'Jam House', the SU's weekly open mic event. If you're interested in performing, by yourself or as part of a group, make sure you tell us and we'll get a group together to come and support you!
SOCIALS & COMMUNITY
- We usually head to the local pub (James Street Vaults; it's right next door!) after our rehearsals, where we enjoy some great deals and a wonderful, casual atmosphere;
Single House Spirit + mixer : £2
Double House Spirit + mixer : £2.50
VS : £1.50
Pizza* : £4.50
*(toppings include; pepperoni, chicken, ham, onion, pepper or mushroom)
- This year we have secured a new sponsor as well as James Street Vaults! Revolution Bar & Club are offering some incredible deals such as the ones below...
6-Shot Stick : £6
2-for-1 Cocktails all day, every day!
Amstel : £2.95
Magners : £2.95
Single Ketel 1 Vodka + mixer : £2.95
Double Ketel 1 Vodka + mixer : £4
Crooked : £3
Hooch : £3
50% off all food!
Coca Cola : £1.50
- These amazing deals mean that we will probably be heading to Revolution often, usually after our normal Tuesday or Thursday social, although these deals will be available to any paid member of the society who recieves and activates their discount card from us!
- Some of our regular socials include;
- JSV Pub Quiz! (Tuesdays, 8.30pm)
- Jam House - Open mic night in the SU (Thursdays, 9pm)
- We are also planning to bring back more socials and events through out the year, such as;
- Characters from Musicals, Movies, TV etc
- Bowling, ice skating etc
- Christmas Dinner Social
- End-of-exams Summer Bash!
...and much, much more!
Your first 4 sessions with us are FREE, but by the end of the 4th session you must pay membership if you want to continue with the society (you also need to pay the £3 society subs that goes to the SU, if you haven’t already paid that - that covers your general insurance while you are taking part in society activities and events)
(*Membership must be paid through the website; if you only have cash due to being an international student, then we will try and arrange something with the SU.*)
Paid members get to enjoy a variety of discounts, deals and perks, including.....
- Discounted tickets to public A Cappella events and performances
- 25% off the Official Society Hoodie
- Discounts and deals at our sponsor venues; James Street Vaults and Revolution Bar
Once membership has been paid, you will receive a membership card as well as a discount card for Revolution. You must have both with you to ensure you get all the benefits at both venues.
We look forward to meeting you all soon!!
Please don't hesitate to contact us via email if you have any questions or concerns; firstname.lastname@example.org
A Cappella Committee 2018/19