UK General Elections Info, Details & FAQs

Had an email about a tax refund?

Written by: SU Advice

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Be very careful if you receive an email which purports to be from HMRC about a tax refund – it will be a SCAM!

HMRC will never send you an email advising you about a refund, ask for personal details or request your bank details.

The good news is that students who have earned less than the personal annual tax free threshold and who have paid tax on their 23/24 earnings should receive a refund of the tax paid.

If you think you may be due a refund, you can easily check this on HMRC’s website:

You don’t need to pay a company to help you get a refund – the HMRC online process is very easy to use.


Don’t get caught out by scammers!

If you have any concerns or questions about tax scams, please get in touch with our SU Advice team who will be happy to help:



More about SU Advice and how we can support you:

Our team of friendly advisors have experience in dealing with all types of student enquiries and will endeavour to work with you to find a solution to any problems you may be facing as a student. Most importantly, the SU Advice team are not part of the University of Plymouth, and therefore we are able to provide independent and confidential advice, so you can speak to us in confidence knowing nothing will be shared with anyone, including the University, if you don’t want it to be. 

SU Advice can offer support and information on accommodation concerns, such as deposit schemes and inventories, as well as a free tenancy agreement checking service. The team can also provide financial guidance, including advice on budgeting, discounts, travel, healthcare, welfare benefits and childcare costs to help make sure you are getting the best value for money. 

SU Advice are also here to help you navigate and understand Student Finance England (SFE), including your tuition fee loans, maintenance loans, and if you qualify for any bursaries or additional grants. They are here to support all University of Plymouth students, whether they are a new student, returning student, postgraduate or international student: we are here to offer information and guidance to ensure you understand your outgoing fees and available financial support.

As well as accommodation and financial guidance, SU Advice can also provide academic advice for a wide range of academic issues including appeals, complaints, consumer rights, extenuating circumstances, fitness to practice, interruption to studies and academic offences. Our team can advise you regarding the various procedures, comment on your appeal and complaint submissions, and help you to prepare for disciplinary hearings. In certain circumstances our advisors can even attend them with you. As a separate organisation from the University of Plymouth, SU Advice are here to provide confidential advice and advocate for your rights when needed.

Visit the SU Advice page on the SU website: