Student View Survey: Help improve your experience Complete Survey

Registering with a GP whilst a student in Plymouth

Written by: UPSU

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Amid settling into your course and accommodation, learning to navigate the University campus, exploring your new city, meeting new people and finding your community – it is a busy time coming into the start of the academic year!

But, whether you’re a new or returning student, one thing should be on the top of your to-do list if you haven’t already done it - registering with a GP.

If you spend more weeks in the year at your University address than your non-term time address, then you need to register with a GP local to the University as soon as possible. That way, if you need medical support or emergency care, you can access the services when you need them.

This is especially important if you have an ongoing health condition, particularly one that requires medication.



University Medical Centre (UMC) 


The University Medical Centre (UMC) has been providing primary care services to university students for many years. University of Plymouth students have access to a dedicated, purpose-built GP surgery in the Wellbeing Centre located on campus, run by Peverell Park Surgery.

The Practice is friendly and approachable, with doctors who are interested in student health and wish to ensure you enjoy good physical and mental health during your time at University. General medical and contraceptive services are provided with absolute confidentiality. No medical or personal details are given to the University without your consent.

Any student studying at the University and living in Plymouth postcodes PL1 – PL6 is welcome to register.

The University Medical Centre is located within the Wellbeing Centre (1st floor) on the main city-centre campus.

To register at the University Medical Centre, please follow the link: registration



If you do not want to sign up for the University Medical Centre, you can also find other local GP practices in Plymouth who may be taking on patients: find a GP.

Remember, most university students have to pay for prescriptions, unless you are between the ages of 16-18 and in full-time education. You can check who can get free prescriptions on the NHS website to see if you are eligible.



Dental Care


Your GP will not be able to help you with dental issues so don’t leave it until there’s a problem to register with a dentist: find a dentist.



Read more: