Hi, I’m Owain Gullam and I’m running to be your VP Education because I believe the SU doesn’t work to the highest potential for our students, and our services should be made more widely accessible to all.
- Whilst previous works by VPs has been excellent, most students still don’t know who their reps are or what they do. I want to improve awareness, enabling course reps to better represent their peers with tools like mailing lists.
- Currently there are talks for a sustainable café, run by the university, to appear in RLB. Whilst commendable, this is not enough. The SU should be pushing partners, associated night clubs and brands, to encourage more sustainable practices.
- I want students to know that the SU is here to work for them. The only way to do that is by placing true, accountable representatives to the sabbatical posts. Representation = Improvement to student’s lives and wishes.
- As a potential student governor of the university, I will lobby the board to ensure that cuts to services do not heavily impact student services, and re-evaluate the pay rises that the chancellors have recently seen.
- Climate awareness should be represented to a higher standard in all aspects of university life. I hope to provide a brief, given in induction week sessions, to inform students about how we can lead sustainable lives.
- Finally, I seek to represent all students, undergraduates, postgraduates and international students, to improve your academic experience by ensuring all advice is more easily accessible, and you're made aware of all possible paths of assistance.
Thank you for reading my manifesto.