The annual sporting event between?The University of Plymouth and The University of St Mark & St took place in March,?with 18 matches over 10?different disciplines?and hosting over a 500 student athletes. University of Plymouth has claimed the Varsity Championship for the seventh year in a row, defeating the city rivals 25-11.
Each year the event raises money for charity through ticket sales and donations. This year’s beneficiaries were Plymouth Mind and Campaign Against Living Miserably, chosen by students at UoP at both institutions. The final figure raised will be revealed at a cheque presentation in May.
Varsity is the biggest student sporting event in the city, with thousands either taking part or supporting, and the big rugby and football fixtures played at the home grounds of Plymouth Albion and Plymouth Argyle.
- American Flag FootballUoP 26 - 32 Marjon
- Men's BasketballUoP 73 - 83 Marjon
- Men's FootballUoP 2 - 0 Marjon
- Men's Football 2UoP 1 - 2 Marjon
- Men's Football 3UoP 0 - 2 Marjon
- Men's Football 4UoP 2 - 2 Marjon
- Men's HockeyUoP 8 - 1 Marjon
- Men's LacrosseUoP 4 - 3 Marjon
- Men's RugbyUoP 11 - 18 Marjon
- Men's TennisUoP 5 - 1 Marjon
- Mixed VolleyballUoP 3 - 1 Marjon
- NetballUoP 45 - 44 Marjon
- Women's FootballUoP 4 (4) - 4 (3) Marjon
- Women's FutsalUoP 9 - 4 Marjon
- Women's HockeyUoP 3 - 1 Marjon
- Women's LacrosseUoP 16 - 3 Marjon
- Women's RugbyUoP 15 - 0 Marjon
- Women's Water poloUoP 23 - 5 Marjon ?
Ben Morris,?Vice President of Sport at?UPSU, said:??
“Varsity week is a fantastic way to finish off semester 2 of sport. This year we have had some amazing moments, from the Ladies Football winning the first ever Varsity to Men’s Lacrosse scoring with the last shot of the game. This year UPSU chose to raise money for Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM), this charity is very current with students and something that is close to their hearts. On a personal level it was a pleasure for me to play in the final fixture of Varsity as well as being involved in the planning of the event. It’s great to see?UPSU?hold on to the championship?for yet another year”
This annual?modern day Varsity is an?event?has grown over the last twelve?years?from a single rugby match between the?two?institutions to a weeklong competition with over 500 students competing in?10?different disciplines?and to date has?now raised over?£150,000?in total for?local?and national charities.?